• The photograph of Henry Jack is courtesy of the University of Dundee
Archive Services. [Please note that the photograph of Henry Jack being
reproduced in this volume is the only known photo to exist of Henry Jack.]
• The photograph of Philip Hall is courtesy of the Royal Society,
• The photograph of Dudley Ernest Littlewood is courtesy of Baxter's Pho-
• The photograph of Ian Macdonald is courtesy of Sara Wilkinson.
• "The algebra of partitions,"
G. Macdonald, Group Theory: Essays for
Philip Hall, K. W., Gruenberg and J. E. Roseblade, Editors, Academic
Press, London, 1984.
1984 by the London Mathematical Society.
• "On certain symmetric funcitons," D. E. Littlewood, Proc. London Math.
Soc. (3) 11 (1961), pp. 485-498. @1961 by the London Mathematical
• "A class of symmetric polynomials with a parameter," Henry Jack, Pro-
ceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, Section A (Mathematical &
Physical Sciences), volume 69 (1970/71), pp. 1-18. Reproduced by per-
mission of the Royal Society of Edinburgh from Proceedings of the Royal
Society of Edinburgh, Section A (Mathematical & Physical Sciences), vol-
ume 69 (1970/71).
• First letter from Henry Jack to G. de B. Robinson [16.4.76]; Note added
by Prof. W.N. Everitt, Department of Mathematics, University of Dundee
on 5 Sept. 1980; Second letter from Henry Jack to G. de B. Robinson [4
May 76]; Reply from G. de B. Robinson to the two letters by Henry Jack
[June 28, 1976]; Letter from Professor W.N. Everitt to G. de B. Robinson
[14 October 1980].
• The photograph ofVadim Kuznetsov is courtesy of the University of Leeds
and Brian Sleeman.